To blow a shepherd's whistle, hold the whistle with the open end facing your lips. Place your lips around the open end and blow a steady stream of air into the whistle. Keep your breath steady and consistent to produce a clear, consistent sound. You can vary the pitch of the sound by adjusting the amount of air you blow into the whistle, or by using different blowing techniques such as vibrato or trills. Practice blowing the whistle to become more proficient and to develop your own unique style of playing.
- Place whistle in mouth. The curved with the open slot should be facing outwards.
- Resting the flat back edge on your tongue, just behind the tip.
- Close the lips on the curved edge of th whistle. Hold in the mouth in such a way as to create a gap underneath the whistle. The back of the whistle will sit on the back of the tongue.
- Blow and by varying the blow, you will create different sounds.
- To create an even wider range of sounds, move the tongue up and down reducing and widening the gap underneath the whistle.